Tuesday, July 21, 2009

YA Alternate Worlds


Today I decided to ring one of my best friends, Tory and while talking to her about school books and how the novel Dracula explains things in too much detail we came to talking about Scott Westerfeld’s series Uglies.
For most of you who know Tory, you will know she has a very keen eye for finding books that grab your attention straight away. You will also know that she hasn’t read Uglies. For shame!
However, she has given the books a good go and what she found interesting, yet also frustrating was the fact that while being able to create a new world, Scott Westerfeld didn’t explain a lot of contraptions and new technology. She wanted to know exactly what a bungee-jacket was, but for it to still fit into the story, which is difficult, unless you use footnotes like Terry Pratchett.
This made me think back to a recent interview Scott Westerfeld attended with Holly Black and Cassandra Claire about alternate histories and how hard it is to show a story, not tell it.
I often have this trouble in writing classes and I know it will take a few years for me to get the hang of it, or maybe I won’t get the process at all, but for those who are interested in how professional writers overcome this difficult process of explaining little things in the world (like hoverboards, sneak suits, even gloves!) through the eyes of a character who has lived in the world all their life and know nothing different, here is the interview as a linkage

http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/?p=1098

To read up on the other authors, Holly Black’s page is here http://www.blackholly.com/
And Cassandra Claires book is here http://www.cassandraclare.com/

I have read Holly Blacks work before (Valiant) so I’m really looking forward to White Cat. And there is of course Cassandra Claire whose book City of Bones I have at home, yet (as I've explained to Tory) is part of my tower of "must read" books.

Enjoy!

Jinx xx

6 comments:

  1. I don't think it was the bungee jacket that perplexed me, but the fact that she had to wear something before she left the house? I can't remember. But GARG! How it annoys me! I DEMAND TO KNOW THE EXACT PURPOSE AND FUNCTION OF A BUNGEE JACKET DAMMIT!
    Meline Marchetta did it too with the reference of 'glamour' - i was always confused by it... And she never did exactly explain to the audience what it was...
    But thank you for the links m'lady! I shall have fun looking that stuff up!!
    Did you end up watching LOTR???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo
    Did you know that your dvd sucks and won't play in my dvd player!!! well my computer one anyway so I'm going to test it out on my dvd player for the TV. Otherwise I'm going to have to invade your house :P
    OOOOH I think that was a sneak suit...I think...damnit I can't remember. I thought you meant when she was escaping the building!
    I just realised when watching the video that they don't actually tell us how they overcome the problem...just that it's really hard...bastards they don't want to give away the secret!! *shakes fist*

    ReplyDelete
  3. ''You will also know that she hasn’t read Uglies. For shame!''

    I don't think someone who hasn't read The Lord of the Rings can cast shame on anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh for sure!
    But its still shameful that she hasnt read uglies :P
    but, i still love her, because she has attempted them ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! THANK YOU MARK!!
    What can I say Gilly, i tried, yet failed miserably. The lesson is? Never try :)
    At LEAST i didn't disappoint in wicked lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes you're so right you didnt disappoint in wicked lovely :P
    I still love you either way!

    ReplyDelete