Monday, August 3, 2009

Intro to Fiction Writing (week 2)

Terribly slack of me to post another one of these, I know, but I promise to discuss an issue that came up today in writing class later!
This piece is another first draft. Hope you enjoy it!

I woke in a cold sweat. My breathing was heavy. I lay there slowing my breath trying to focus on something other than the dream that gripped my mind. The stone floor felt comforting against my skin and for the first time in a long time I felt at peace with myself and even with the world, even though all I could see was a dark, grey sky.
When I felt ready to face reality I sat up to observe my surroundings. The Factory was no different to how I remembered it before but it still felt foreign to me. I guess in many ways it was always a foreign concept to me. A place I would never understand and perhaps never wanted to. I said I would never return to The Factory but as most stories go, not everything is what we expect it to be and I guess in many ways, I knew I would have to return one day. To prove it happened if anything at all, even just to remind me, freshen the pain, add salt to my wound or even return to comfort myself. No matter what happened there, it was my home for most of my life.

I started working at The Factory on my 18th birthday. I remember the car crash on the way to my friend’s house. The car flipped and burst into flames with just me in it. I could smell my skin burning as I struggled to push myself around and out of the twisted metal that used to be my dads prized possession. I passed out from the pain of burning and being crushed and when I woke up, I was in The Factory. I will always have memories of the smell. I guess it was to make us believe we were in hospital, to make us believe we were going to be ok. No matter how many needles and funny machinery they pulled out to inject, poke and squeeze into, on and above you, it was still a hospital to us and everyone obeyed. It was only when the others, including myself, left our room, did we realise what The Factory was all about…

Jinx xx

3 comments:

  1. What's the factory?? WHATS THE FACTORY!!!!!
    I want to know more, KEEP WRITING DAMMIT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mwahahahahahhah
    its!!
    ITS!!


    IIIIIIITS


    ya face!

    love yooooou :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. the factory is someones face?

    what a wacky twist!



    good work.

    ReplyDelete