Monday, September 20, 2010

Ode on Character

The best thing about writing a story is when you know your character has developed itself and runs away from you. Many people might think this is impossible, that you always own this fictional being, but it is the simple act of the subconscious that has allowed writers this surprise when they finally realize that the character is very different to what they originally intended. It’s like reading a story yourself, but you were the one writing it all along!

After the lecture we decided to try a Character Questionnaire to see how our characters have developed and whether we noticed anything about them that we didn’t in our writing. I was blown away by the activity. I found out so much about the protagonist! She is so angry, and so depressed I didn’t realize she was thinking about certain things that happen much later until I fake interviewed her. It wasn’t like I had to think about the answers to uncover them. I just let my fingers run over the keyboard and before I knew it she was uncovered, flesh and bone right before my eyes. I understand her now as not just a character, but as a person. She was there, right in the room with me answering my questions. She became defensive at the start, angry and upset, and then, like the way she acts in the story, she becomes tired easily, sad and letting go a little each question. I kept questioning what holds their relationship together, why does she love this man, when everybody around her tells her not to? And I realized through many questions that, he is her world. Without him, she has no life, no reason and nobody left to love.

Without having a huge spoiler moment I will show you some of the answers just so you can get an idea of what kind of questions I found interesting. The Character Questionnaire I used was developed by Marcel Proust. Here is the link to both Questionnaires: http://www.writingclasses.com/InformationPages/index.php/PageID/106

I chose number 2 and keep in mind it is a draft. I just had to write. So I expect there will be errors. So here is my writing, in the beginning:

What is your current state of mind?
Anger. Annoyance. Pure and utter sadness. I’m so tired, not because I don’t sleep, but because I sleep too much to escape everything else. I have a terrible feeling that something bad will happen, that they will somehow find a way to really twist that knife in my back.

What is your most marked characteristic?
Strength. Nobody could survive a day in my shoes. Try it, I dare you, by the end of the day you would be on suicide watch.

When and where were you the happiest?
Difficult to say. I guess in my dreams, when I dream that its only us. Just him and I. I imagine all the children we could have and do have in the dreams.

What is it that you most dislike?
Me. And what makes up me.

Which living person do you most despise?
My mother.

Where would you like to live?
Anywhere that isn’t here. I don’t think there is a place on the solar system that offers that though.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
My life.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Someone that doesn’t resemble their mother

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Wanting to bring children into a life I hate

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Not trying to get to know him. Not bothering to ask. Assuming the worst before asking. Trying to make us unhappy.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Trying to fit in with everyone else. You’re all pathetic.

On what occasion do you lie?
Every day of my life

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I wish…

What are your favourite names?
I want a little girl. We were thinking of Emily. After his mother.

What is you motto?
Do, when people tell you don’t

For the writers out there I suggest you do it. I’m going to do it for the antagonist next, her mother. I’m excited, I am!

Don’t be afraid of your character. The believable characters are the ones that run when you tell them to stay

Jinx xx

P.S Next on my list is to get some images of her. What I think she should look like, dress like etc. It would definitely help with the world she lives in and how she holds herself physically. But for now, have Lust from Full Metal Alchemist!

4 comments:

  1. I love the title of your blog. A book Unfinished, how true is that! I have several notebooks filled with the unfinished doodles of my mind.

    I love your blog. I see that you haven't posted anything new however I did love this topic. Building and molding a character is a brilliant thing, especially when they start to create their own personalities and do their own thing.

    Please stop by my blog! Let me know if you'll posting new pieces because I'd love to come back and visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jen!
    I'm interested to know how you found me! It's very exciting to meet someone new through blogging :)

    I did visit your blog and LOVED it! It's beautifully professional and lovely to read. I noticed you are from the US, I would love to visit one day. Well, NY in particular.

    I will definitely be posting some more soon, I promise! I'm so glad people other than my friends read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love characters! They are the best part of the story. I think they're more important than plot!
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Beth!

    I like what you said in your about me! Very poetic and quite true :)

    ReplyDelete