Sunday, April 5, 2009

Catherine Jinks


Recently, while researching for an essay "My Reading Experience" I have found that when I read a wonderful story I don't try and find another story that's similar, I read through all the other novels that the author has written. Part of liking a story, I believe, is not only the plot, but the writing style, the magic of words and how someone can develop this skill over time.
My appreciation for print developed when my Dad dragged me to the library to show me the entertainment one can have over the summer break. From then on, every opportunity I had I stormed through the young adult section of my local library. While going through each author that appealed to me, one imparticular struck me as quite interesting. Catherine Jinks, who was the start of my love for science fiction.

The Future Trap and Eye to Eye are both so similar in style, yet so different it is unfair to love them as one piece, rather as separate pieces of artwork.


The Future Trap was loved because of the characters, the ideas, and it was my very first taste of feminine literature.
A girl is accidentally taken to the future where Genetic Engineering is commonplace and used so humans can survive on different planets. However, this has caused a breakdown so Paula (the human from the past) has to try and save everyone against her will. Her feminist behaviour was intriguing and I found her an enjoyment to read. She was strong, firm and stuck to what she believed in. For a Young Adult book, that is something to admire in a novel, now that I look at it from a different perspective. As a child Paula was a heroine, as an adult she is influencial and a wonderful character. One of the stories my future children will be reading!

Eye to Eye I loved because of the characters, the descriptive language and the storyline being incredibly different. Jansi, a scavenger, finds a damaged star ship and slowly forms a relationship with the computer, PIM. The characters in this story were just beautifully painted in the story. Their eventual communication skills are utterly charming to unravel and so easy to cry and laugh along to.

I believe Catherine Jinks influenced me because both stories focused on the issue with communication, developed my understanding of how we're living our lives and how this will effect our future, which is why I love science fiction so much.

What author influenced you to think the way you do, write the way you write and see what you see?

Jinx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment