Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How To Disappoint a Young Adult Reader

Yesterday I stayed at uni to see a Young Adult author, Penni Russon (The Indigo Girls, Undine trilogy etc) to discuss Young Adult writing and how she got into this profession. I was terribly excited to be talking about a genre I adore; however, I came out of the two hour lecture feeling quite upset and even angry at this woman.
She was very useful in telling her story of how she became an author - making it sound very easy falling into it with the help of her best friend being an editor - and also discussing the balancing of her two kids, her hubby and work (which she didn’t really call work). I found this all very interesting because I have often worried whether I will be able to get over my stressful behaviour. BUT, her attitude was all wrong.

I don’t want to be the type of writer that thinks their audience is “simple minded”. Yes, you heard me! She called Young Adults simple minded, which is why she finds the writing so easy because “young adults like reading the same shit over and over again”.

I was so insulted.
Being a Young Adult myself I felt compelled to stand up and yell “hey lady, I’m a young adult and I think I’m pretty damn sophisticated!” Alas, I let it slide and continued listening, hoping she would redeem herself by saying how wonderful the whole experience is and even how touching her fans can be. But no, the more I listened to her the more confused and angry I became. She bad mouthed other authors like Stephenie Meyer, saying how crap Twilight was and ok, I get it, it wasn’t the best stories out there but HELLO! SILLY WOMAN! Look at what it’s done to Young Adults who don’t read. It transformed a genre, created a whole new way of marketing for Publishers and bloody hell, it got people to read! Isn’t that supposed to be, I don’t know, the MAIN goal for YA authors??

She then proceeded to talk about Scott Westerfeld (oh hell, no!) and, fortunately enough praised and praised and praised his work. Good girl, but did you forget that all the things you praised him for (creating something different for Young Adult readers to look for in stories and their life, to think of new ideas and create confidence in others) that those are the type of things “simple minded” people wouldn’t pick up on? If we’re so simple minded, we wouldn’t be able to read such “masterpieces”.

I was really upset that writers can have such an ego attitude. I know I haven’t met many authors before, but I just didn’t expect any of them to be so cocky! I’m sure she is a good writer, and she speaks well, she was funny and interesting etc, but her immaturity to bag half the audience sitting there really hurt me. I don’t really care all that much whether it was a joke. I hate those jokes, because every joke has some truth to it and why would you say it in the first place, if you didn’t mean it deep down?

Penni Russon, I actually feel sorry for you. I feel sorry that you think your audience is like this! We like reading, we enjoy a challenge and we like to think about deep and meaningful things so don’t patronise us, please! We are smart people!
Please don’t let me turn into that writer, people! I know I will be more into the publishing side but I still have to edit work, write my own stuff on the side, plus see and feel your feelings as my own if I’m going to be publishing for you, the YA world.

I think we’re pretty awesome and deserve a chance!

Proudly yours,

Jinx xx
Update: Watch this space for opportunities to submit pieces for a new Journal my classmates and I are creating for our Major Assingment. Nothing too huge, but an experience for everyone to get involved in. Our journal is called Cursive Scripts and we welcome anything and everything, so long as there is no racism or anything illegal (Defamation etc)
Ta!

7 comments:

  1. You should have said something!
    She would have been so taken aback that her 'simple minded' audience would call her on contradiction.
    She may have a talent, but when talent becomes ego, these so called 'professionals' need to be shown that they need us 'simple minded' folk, we are after all the ones who pay there wages.
    How many of the people who left feeling as you do now from her demeaning speech, would continue to purchase her repetitive novels, as she would deem?
    Being intelligent and forward, as i know you are gill-mister, is never a handicap in this world.
    Show these so called professionals that the youth of today are more than just a TV set broadcasting the same program continuously.
    Mad Dog xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww I know I so should have said something in the end! She just made me so angry I only thought to stand up and say something when the moment was gone. Some people can just shock you so much you are speechless. Chyeah, she was sooo ruuuude!
    You're so right, lover! We do buy her stuff so she should watch what she says!
    BTW! tell your broooo to send in his writing stuff to our new journal!!! once we set up the email i shall text you with it!!
    LOOOOOVE, thanks for your wise words! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm really amazed that happened.

    I tried to stay for that lecture, but I had to tutor. Mal's getting a lot of interesting people in - are you going to watch any others? All us second years are still kicking ourselves that *our* industry overview class last year was so shit compared to this year!

    I haven't heard one bad thing about Penni until now - really interesting she said that.

    I can't imagine that insulting her audience would be the best way to get new readers/keep old readers!

    I agree with Mad Dog - I would have said something; at least worded it semi-nicely to see how she reacted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure whether i'll see others depending on whether i can make it to anymore with homework and other things on but if i have free time i'll go for sure. i thought i would see you there. people kept leaving though so obviously others didn't find her that intersting either, or they just thought she was just as rude!
    i thought that too, i was going to buy one of her books to read...but decided against it when she said that. she just lost a customer for sure!
    i was going to talk to her after but i couldn't think of how i could word it to her nicely, i was that upset it wouldn't have been worth me wasting my time telling her how dumb she is haha
    bit hard to tell someone nicely that they just insulted half the audience

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, its a shame they started the lecture at three (it was three right?) - i tutor at four so no way I could hang around!

    Mal's really turned the class around this year. Making all the signs and advertising it and offering for everyone to turn up for instance! Last year was nothing like that, altho we had some awesome people too. Rolling Stones writer, and a chick from Lonely Planet. I love Lonely Planet, as I'm sure you remember!

    It seems that a few of the guests Mal's gotten I've met before/semi know anyway - Penni and Lisa for instance - so it doesn't really matter *that* much, as I can easily email/Twitter them.

    I saw Penni today and she didn't say anything of that nature - although I told a fellow lit friend about what you said, and gave him your link :P

    Yeah I'm not sure that there is a nice way to say it, is there!

    You could always email her questioning it...

    Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just so surprised she said that. It's really disappointing thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow man. Way to tell 'em. I totally agree with you. These so called 'artists' get pretty complacent.
    People should remember that being good at something doesn't make you any less of a dickhead
    ... Unless it's not being a dickhead.

    - MELLYMEL

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahahahaha oh mel, you're the greatest ^^

    ReplyDelete