Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fly on the wall


Fly on the wall. A phrase that’s used by many people, “wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall”
E. Lockhart takes that idea and uses the saying literally. A little too literally if that makes sense.

The story is about Gretchen Yee. Gretchen as a kid, Gretchen as a fly…yes I thought it was weird too…and Gretchen as a superhero…at least that part wasn’t literal.

By being a fly on the wall of the boy’s locker room Gretchen learns about what happens in their lives behind closed doors. I guess I liked the idea in the end because I enjoyed the character a lot more than the last few chapters of The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, however, it took a while for me to like the literal use on the saying, but then again that made it unpredictable! I expected…I don’t know…for her to find vents to sneak through, it even crossed my mind that she might dress as a boy and pretend she’s new to the school, just to get a peak at the guys in the locker room. What!? It could happen!
What made the story so much more interesting, also, was her reasoning for wanting to be a “fly on the wall in the boy’s locker room.” It had that air of feminism, that I’m pretty sure Lockhart is an expert in now! And more importantly it wasn’t ONLY to look at the boys “gherkins” but to also try and understand them. The guy that she likes is quiet, why?…Titus Titus Titus and she can’t understand why Shane (her ex-boyfriend) likes Jazmin LeMaitre more than her. She wants to know whether he still thinks about her and why anyone would EVER be interested in someone like her. The comic-book freak.

Having such an experience makes her realise that when things go wrong in peoples lives there’s no Spiderman to take care of you. You have to fix things yourself. This was a very smart and enjoyable message to read, when clearly this story is aimed at young adult. I give this book 3 out of 5. Geez I’m a hard marker! 2 marks were taken off because it dragged slightly and I felt that by making the saying I love to quote too literal, E. Lockhart therefore made situations that happen in our own life seem somewhat fictional.

Titus

Titus

Ti
…actually I liked Malachy more...

Malachy

Malachy

Malachy

And can someone please tell me how to pronounce him name correctly. The pronunciation I have is not sitting right in my head!! (Mal-ac-k-ee) ewwwwww

Jinx xx

2 comments:

  1. i'm pretty sure Miley Cyrus's song, "Fly On The Wall" is better
    *giggles*
    love youuuuu
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete