Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Writing and Publishing (week 5)


Yet another entry about my writing class. This one I'm actually somewhat proud of. Perhaps because I can see a little of myself in the character.
The main male character was influenced by a character from my favourite anime Full Metal Alchemist. We're all meant to hate this character, yet at the same time we're driven to love and understand everything he does and somehow that sometimes justifies the lives lost because of him.

Give me your words of advice, I love all of your opinions!

I woke in a cold sweat that clung to my face and chest. My breathing was heavy and as I lay there I began to wonder about the dream that took hold of my mind.
My body felt hot despite me lying on cold ground. Lying there felt peaceful as I let the dream cover my mind in a cloud of knowledge, yet somehow I felt unsafe. Watched. I tried to sit up to check my surroundings but as my arms bent back to lift me pain shot through my wrists and my arms stopped abruptly. I was chained. I lifted my legs and once again pain and a forceful halt seized me from moving much of my body. Straining my head up I could just see ahead of me. Bruises covered my whole body, blood spilled from my slashed skin and I realised what had happened. I was defeated.

“Fucking hell” I yelled “that really hurts. Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to beat up on women?” feet walked towards me and I winced as they swung up to kick me again. They stopped in mid air only to say
“But you’re not a woman are you Charlie?” the man laughed and kicked my already bruised thigh. I jumped at the pain forcing both my ankles and wrists to cry in protest of my movement.
“No but I resemble everything there is about women. The mind, the appearance, everything. Except—
“Except the fact that you are not. Shall we negotiate” the man swung his leg over me and sat down on my stomach. He was light for a man of his size, but then again, I thought, he wasn’t as strong as what he looked. His mind was his strong point and no doubt his loyal dogs gave me these bruises and scars. No wonder I was defeated, I was out numbered. He played unfairly.
“I will never negotiate with a man who lies.” I stare straight up at the sky. Perhaps I was afraid of his face, not because of what his true form held, but because if I looked at his face I was afraid upon looking in his eyes, that I would cave in. cave in just like last time when I first saw his face in my village.
“I never lied to you Charlie, I only protected you from the truth. Why don’t you look at me anymore” he touched my face lightly catching a tear that had fallen from my eye “protecting your village is like me protecting your heart. Here let me help you” he unlocked one chain and let my hand slide out of the cuffs. I lashed at him but his hand locked around my broken wrist and I cried out in pain
“Ah ah ah” he tisked at me “naughty girl, be gentle or the cuffs go back on” he laced his fingers through mine and leaned forward blocking my view from the sky so I was forced to look at him. His eyes, I thought I can see again. My body froze up once more and my mind shattered, too afraid of the information held within his eyes. I could see everything. The destruction of my village, the lives I killed, everything that I destroyed was there. He stared unblinking at me until he was satisfied I saw enough. The man I once loved and whom I killed for was punishing me for feeling such love.
And now he too must die…

I lashed with my free hand at the ground as I undug the chains that were buried deep in the earth and swung it towards his face. I heard a crunch and scream as he fell back. My claws extended as anger and pain shot through my body, transforming me to my true form. Breaking the chains through little force I was able to stand once more and defeat him. I looked upon his face one last time as my memories showed through his eyes
“My dear you’re looking beautiful once more.” He said shedding his skin for the last time and revealing his true form.


I hope that was enjoyable. Back to "Highways" about the character above. Helsinki knows!

Jinx xx

6 comments:

  1. oooohhhhh thats so good! i'm picturing it so easily!
    hmm perhaps u need to describe the 'defeat' more coz ther's so much leading up to it, then its over so quick! (i know this is probs coz u ran out of time =P)

    but otherwise, i absolutely LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks baby! we're meant to edit it quite a few times so i'll definately write down your comment thanks so much!
    it is because of time but i could have just like not wrapped it up and gone "..."

    mum thought it sounded too much like x-men :P oopys

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Here let me help you” he unlocked one chain and let my hand slide out of the cuffs. I lashed at him but his hand locked around my broken wrist and I cried out in pain
    “Ah ah ah” he tisked at me “naughty girl, be gentle or the cuffs go back on”
    ----
    That was my favourite part :)
    I learned in my course that it's never good for someone to say something is excellent without explaining why so i'll explain why now:

    The rhythm of the story is paced evenly, and then when this sentence comes, its sharp and short like the action itself!
    Plus, the sentence "I lashed at him but his hand locked around my broken wrist and I cried out in pain" contains no commas or punctuation to slow it down so the reader is forced to read it fast, adding to the suspense of the story and the main characters emotions.
    Also, i could mentally envision the characters in my head which is always a good thing :D:D

    My only qualm is that i'm a bit confused about the story itself. Is the main character a man or woman?? Plus, what does it mean by 'true form'? Twas a bit confused there...
    I also agree with Tash about explaining HOW the man was defeated - as it seems to be the climatic outcome of the story
    Sorry if any of my comments offend!! I really liked the story, i was just a tad confussled :S
    LOVE YOU!!!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much guys!
    nothing is ever offending with writing if you say it the right way which you both did. and now this helps me for my writing folio so thank you both again ^^

    back to writing. blaaagh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude I never read your blog
    I love it!
    I like your story, what was her true form? A cat?

    I have one of these new fangled blogs now, grace a toi. I used to do my writing exercises on Livejournal but I'm too lazy to figure out how to use it properly. Care to read/criticique one of my stories? Tear it apart, whatever. We never get to do that shit at uni and that's WHY I'M THERE. Sigh.

    Love yer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent really figured out her true form as of yet. I guess I dont really need to but I wanted the guy to have something sly kind of like a snake. not so much beast-like because i mentioned that his strength is through his eyes not him being physically strong. and i thought of snakes being sly and manipulating people through their mind. plus he "shed" his skin. as for the girl i did want something sexy to prove that she was a girl but also strong so kinda cat-like without copying marvel haha
    i never got to develop her true form though so when i do edit it i might make mention of what her true form might be like

    i must search your blog and add you. shall do critique even though i'm terrible at it haha

    love you!!

    ReplyDelete