Monday, June 8, 2009

Good Omens


I know it’s been a long time since I’ve done this, but seeing as I finally finished the novel Good Omens I think it’s only fair that I write about how good it was.

And boy was it good!

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen collaborated this story by sending floppy disks in the mail to each other and talking about it for hours over the phone. They say that by the time they finished editing the piece you couldn’t tell who wrote what, pretty damn cool eh!

This story is about the events leading up to the end of the world. It begins with the birth of the devils son and then finishes with the last week leading up to the end of the world and the battle between heaven and hell. Only thing is Crowley (fallen angel) and Aziraphale (angel) kinda like it on earth and don’t want the big war to happen!

The language in the story was just amazing. It’s always so refreshing to read something new in a novel. I often make the mistake of reading a novel and if I like it even slightly I will raid that authors section to see whether it was a one off or whether this author has something to offer to young adult authors. I think it may come with the obsession I had when I was younger, when I dissected the young adult section in the library by author, because I couldn’t think of another way to choose a title!
Now every time I read something that’s from a different author I’m like OMGZZZ new style!
Which is always very fun to discover; I don’t think any fantasy writer can do this story as well as Pratchett and Gaimen did. Their dry humour and intelligence shone through the pages and made the whole story gothic in approach but also taking the piss out of Christianity. Now, I am very religious - especially compared to my group of girls where half of them are atheists – but I still highly enjoyed this book and I am recommending it to anyone who has a dry sense of humour and is ok with challenging their religion. Very funny, but very smart in their approach and I think it should be on the list for good reading material.

A very devilish

Jinx xx

2 comments:

  1. ahh i've been hearing all this hype about this book...
    My favourite artist on deviant art drew a picture of the characters you mentioned, thought you'd like it
    http://RohanElf.deviantart.com/art/Aziraphale-and-Crowley-112200408

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh thanks!
    haha I definately like Crowley. the description of him in the story is really specific so people draw him basically the same. but Aziraphale isnt explained too well so theres always a new interpretation. which is better i think!
    i shall lend it to you AFTER you finish Wicked Lovely series :D

    ReplyDelete