Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sex, Scrotums and Librarians

There is a new issue that’s floating around the news recently that I believe should be talked about here, right now…on this blog. I say this because many authors have become very defensive over this issue and I think it’s high time that the young adults of this world shed their view.

I read about this issue ages ago on Scott Westerfeld’s blog about books being banned or moved from the young adult section because of its bad content; whether it be talking about sex or even implying sexual connotations. The post is here http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/?s=scrotum

So, understandably these authors must get pretty damn frustrated. I mean, they write these beautiful stories that touch the lives of some particular groups of young adults, and librarians decide to destroy it by labelling it “racy” or in simple terms BAD and therefore ban it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of money goes into publishing the one story, and now it’s not allowed to sit – rightfully - on its shelf.

But, that post was written ages ago so let me update you.
If you haven’t already heard, Maureen Johnson has recently been accused of having “racy XXX rated content” in her book The Bermudez Triangle. Only this time it’s not the library staff that are complaining but two mothers.
The story in simple terms is:
The daughter of one of the mothers picked up two random books off the young adult section in their local library. One was Maureen’s book, another Gossip Girl (EW!) While flicking through the pages herself, the mother found some of the topics “racy” and decided to call the library and ask not for the books to be banned, but for them to simply be removed from the young adult section to the adult section.
Youtube video linkage for more info and also Maureen Johnson defending herself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aLRBhNUmo

Ahem. Cue young adult point of view

We all know that the young adult section has often been confused with different people thinking it’s for different ages. As far as I’m concerned I try to keep the young adult section for ages 14 and UP! But, obviously the age is dropping and now young adult is aimed at 12 and up, which is where the problem has started. I think what we should be doing is not banning books just because they sit in a certain section that might be appropriate for one audience and not the other, but changing the sections age group completely. The reason why I think this is because young adult writing for certain ages is so specific with language for different ages it would be silly to move it to the adult section. While a 12 year old (or her mother for that matter) doesn’t want to learn about teenagers having underage sex and it being ok, adults don’t want to read about it either so why move it to the adult section?

I can see both sides to the story. Mothers don’t want to have to monitor what their child is reading, they already have to monitor what they’re doing on the internet! But to defend the authors for just a moment I should make the statement that I agree with Maureen Johnson. Someone who doesn’t read the section, should not be allowed to make such a big statement like “MOVE THIS BOOK TO THE ADULT SECTION.” Or “BAN IT!! DO IT NOOOW!!” It is exactly the reason why I am writing this blog because, as an 18 year old young adult reader, I think the opinion that needs to count the most is people like me who actually read the section and analyse it ourselves.

What kind of young adult book doesn’t talk about boys and sex and anything dirty that comes to your mind? The reason that those topics are written is because we (teenagers) find it interesting! We talk about it with our friends and authors know this and therefore like to capture our language because their characters are meant to be us, so they must mirror our behaviour.

My dad was saying before (while I was ranting to him about it) that when my sister was in the early stages of reading young adult, he was very worried about the content of the stories. My sister used to read books like Chain of Hearts by Maureen McCarthy and Peeling the Onion by Wendy Orr. Both contain content like suicide, accidental death and self harm. He stopped worrying, however, when he could see how happy she was reading these sorts of issues in novels. They opened up her eyes, kept her intrigued and plus, she was reading! So my dad wasn’t about to call a library and ask to ban the book when he finally found a way for her to read something!
Interesting, because my sister was 14 at the time and so had a fair idea what suicide meant, could handle issues with self harm etc.

I realised that while watching these youtube videos with library staff having their say, adults who host TV morning shows, mothers and authors also having a say, that not once did they ask the daughters point of view. Sure she’s 12 years old but how do you know she was even phased with the idea of sex being mentioned? I know I wasn’t when I read about suicide in Chain of Hearts when I read it at the age of 12 - my sister recommended the book to me.

To recap, the library staff and bookstore staff should rearrange the age group of young adult sections and perhaps bring in another section labelled “tweens” and then “teens” instead of young adult period. This will be so kids don’t get confused between a book like Twilight (friendly no sex before marriage book) and The Bermudez Triangle (lesbians and underage sex being the norm) while also keeping mothers happy because their daughter/son is reading material that is safe and appropriate for their age.

In the words of Scott Westerfeld:

SCROTUM

Ha. Destroyed your mind!

Jinx xx

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree.......However one point to consider.

    If you wants to put Twilight in the tween section then the other books in the series should be too yes??? and they contain quite sexual scenes........book 3 is full of sex. Ripping clothes off, lacy lingerie, teen sex with vampire, adult themes of bestiality, book 3 is nothing but teenage marriage and sex followed by teenage pregnancy. However in saying that Disney is full of adult themes and stereotypes.

    Take this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsy3BblcjCA

    Parents do overreact and should be happy that their teenage kids are reading full stop. They need to learn about life sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that video Amy and I do agree with you, parents overreact a little too much these days. We grew up with Disney and turned out fine!

    However with Twilight, I guess I chose that book because it showed sex after marriage and she was 18. But you are right they do talk about sex in a lot of detail (which is the best part of the book! :P)

    Thanks for commenting ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jinx,
    Nice post! I didn't realise that Maureen's fantastic book was being challenged (again)!

    The video response she made was hilarious, and very strong and powerful. Love the relation to football as well!

    Check out my post on my blog on the same topic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a little too defensive actually. She basically implied that the parents and people who work on fox couldn't read! OUCH much hahaha

    But she is very funny and I couldn't help but laugh at some of the things she said. And yes, love the football part as well! haha

    Thanks for linking me on your post!

    Jinx xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I guess if it were my book I would be too!
    But I can def see your point, and yes, at times she was rather harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i watched that youtube clip and i read your post and i read westerfields blog (to which i expressed a giggle at the word 'dingleberry') and i've come up with my opinion which will be expressed in the following essay-lengthed rant:
    I'm probably being uber biased here because its my dream to become an author and all but i'm with the author on this one. I will admit though, that her youtube film wasn't exactly an... 'eloquent' approach to confronting the issue. There's a way in confronting the issue, and it does not mean that you have to make fun of (and almost belittle) those odd (yet, when it all comes down to it, concerned) parents. I mean, the fact that she was reading her work in a 'sexy' voice just downplays the whole scenario in my opinion.
    What it all comes down to though is the notion of freedom. We should be allowed to read any book we want without our parents narrowing down the aisles and thrusting books like Roald Dahl's "Matilda" into our hands and saying "READ". Because, while Roald Dahl is an EXCELLENT novelist - when we reach 10 or 12, we want to read something that confronts our views. Plus, there is always the chance that forcing young readers to read a different genre that they don't like will turn them off books altogether.
    One thing i can't stand - the little girl here is all seen as "the innocent bystander" by her mother. What tripe! Clearly that girl had heard the craze of gossip girl over the net! And i'm sorry, but no one picks up a book randomly WITHOUT reading the blurb. Was it merely by chance that the girl picked up two novels focalized with women protagonists and which are all about relationship problems and etc? I don't think so.
    I am totally and utterly with the author on this. She deserves to have her book read by her target audience. Although, there are worst cases out there. Do a google search on Laura Mallory. Thats guarranteed to surprise. She's a mother of four who adamantly wanted the Harry Potter books to be banned because apparently they promote Wicca. Her primary claim is that the books contain "evil themes, witchcraft, demonic activity, murder, evil blood sacrifice, spells and teaching children all of this."
    And you know what? When i read that, i disagreed with every fiber of my being yet a small part of me thought for a moment that 'look... despite how wrong she is, she's entitled to her own opinion...'
    that was UNTIL i read this:
    Mallory also commented that she has not read the entire book series because "they're really very long and I have four kids. I've put a lot of work into what I've studied and read. I think it would be hypocritical for me to read all the books, honestly"
    She thinks it would be a contradiction if she READ all the books? What, as opposed to claiming all these very blunt remarks WITHOUT reading the books? Would that be a contradiction?
    If she read the books, she would have realized that YES harry potter practices magic. But thats not the real theme of the story. The real themes are of love, friendship and most importantly, courage - all of these are very Christian values. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion yes, but state that opinion AFTER you've achieved all the facts (which is why i did my research before this whole essay rant!!)
    So, in short. I agree with you/the author.
    I think kids are going to read the book regardless though. In fact, i think this hype will do good promotion for it!!! :P
    love you ever so much,
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tory I will always love your essay long rants. I cannot believe there was a lady who bagged Harry Potter! I seriously thought JK Rowling escaped the whole book banning issue, well except when we found out Dumbledoore was gay. There could have been a problem there. Unfortunatly.
    You are right though, kids are going to read the book regardless but, I guess that would be the better option, letting the kid being obvious with thier rebelious choices, than the kid being "oh my god. mum whats a scrotum!?" and getting the mother angry.

    However tory I just have insy winsy thing to say to you. You know what got me into Scott Westerfeld? I was scanning through authors I haven't read before and saw the book "So Yesterday" feeling like a chic flic I laughed and picked it up and said "oh what like the song!?" and just borrowed it. For fun I didn't read the blurb and I fell in love with the book. And from then on whenever I pick up a new scott westerfeld book I never read the blurb because it's such a better experience and I have found them to ruin some parts in the book that I wanted to find out myself.
    so don't read blurbs...though that's not worth much telling you :P miss naughty who reads the last page FIRST!!

    HA HA
    LOOOVE YOOOU

    seriously though, I completly agree with you too and am definately on the authors side. Especially with the Harry Potter issue. Contradicting herself if she READ them!? pfffft

    ReplyDelete